SFGov, the official site for San Francisco space
San Francisco header image

Human Services Agency of San Francisco
Department of Aging & Adult Services * Department of Human Services

print Print this page | Text size: small - large

Cash assistance is available for low-income San Franciscans with no children, including those who cannot work, and refugees.

County Adult Assistance Programs (CAAP)

If you are a very low-income San Franciscan with no dependent children, you may be eligible for financial support and services through CAAP.

There are four CAAP programs:

  1. Personal Assisted Employment Services (PAES)

    PAES provides a cash stipend and services to clients who are interested in employment.
  2. Cash Assistance Linked to Medi-Cal (CALM)

    If you are receiving Medi-Cal benefits because you are either aged or disabled, but you do not currently qualify for Supplemental Security Income or the Cash Assistance Programs for Immigrants, you may qualify for CALM.
  3. Supplemental Security Income Pending (SSIP)

    If you have a disability that has lasted or is likely to last 12 or more consecutive months, you may be eligible for the SSIP program.
  4. General Assistance (GA)

    If you are a very low-income adult, GA is a safety net program that may be able to help you.

In addition, there are financial assistance programs for immigrants and refugees:

Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)

CAPI is a state-funded program that pays cash benefits to lawful non-citizens who do not qualify for SSI/SSP solely due to their immigration status. In San Francisco, CAPI is administered through the Medi-Cal program. To receive CAPI, you must be over the age of 65, blind, or disabled; be a non-citizen legally present in the United States; and meet certain other criteria. If you do not qualify for CAPI due to your immigration status, you may be eligible for one of the CAAP programs.

Where Do I Apply for CAPI?

Medi-Cal Office

1440 Harrison Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 558-1978

Refugee Cash Assistance Program

Adults without children who have official status as refugees may be able to receive aid through the Refugee Cash Assistance Program, which provides cash assistance and employment services. Aid is limited to 8 months. Referrals to this program are usually made by a voluntary resettling agency.

Where Do I Get Refugee Assistance?

HSA Main Office

170 Otis Street
San Francisco, CA
(415) 557-5723