SFGov, the official site for San Francisco space
San Francisco header image

Human Services Agency of San Francisco
Department of Aging & Adult Services * Department of Human Services

print Print this page | Text size: small - large

CalWORKs - California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Children

If you are an adult with dependent children, you may be eligible for CalWORKs. CalWORKs provides financial support and a variety of services to help you get back on your feet and into the workforce. An employment specialist will work with you to follow an individualized employment plan. Even after you have found a job, you may be able to receive other services, such as help paying for child care, that will help you stay employed and move to better-paying work.

If you participate in CalWORKs, you may receive:

  • Financial support (up to 60 months for parent, and to age 18 for eligible children)
  • Refugee cash assistance and assistance to noncitizen victims of trafficking, domestic violence and other serious crimes
  • Job preparation, assessment, training and employment counseling
  • Education and job search activities
  • Cal-Fresh (formerly known as Food stamps)
  • Medi-Cal
  • Subsidized child care
  • Transportation allowance
  • Financial assistance with uniforms, books or other support needed to participate in Welfare to Work activities
  • Counseling for mental health, substance abuse and domestic violence issues
  • Homeless assistance for move-in costs of securing a new residence
  • Payment of up to two months of back rent to prevent eviction


Pregnant and parenting teens within a CalWORKs family participate in CalLEARN to promote positive parenting, healthy lifestyles and school attendance. For more information, call (415) 557-5100.

Where Do I Apply for CalWORKs?

San Francisco Department of Human Services

170 Otis Street - 1st Floor Reception Area

San Francisco, CA 94103 - Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Phone: (415) 557-5100 or 1-855-557-5100

1800 Oakdale Avenue - 2nd Floor Reception Area

San Francisco, CA 94124 - Hours: 8:00a.m. - 5:00pm

Phone: (415) 557-5100 or 1-855-557-5100

How Do I Appeal a Denial or Protest a Delay?

You have the right to a State Fair Hearing if you are not satisfied and believe there are unnecessary delays in processing your application or if you believe that your worker did not understand the facts in determining your eligibility or in determining your grant properly. You may request a State Fair Hearing within 90 days of the San Francisco Department of Human Services action by completing the back of your notice of action and mailing it to:

Appeals Unit

San Francisco Department of Human Services
P.O. Box 7988, S600
San Francisco, California 94120